Employment Litigation Attorney in Athens, Georgia
Call Michael Daniel Today: 706-543-0002
“Having the choice of any attorney in Athens, I chose Michael Daniel.”
- Nancy Denson, Mayor of Athens
An employment lawyer in Athens, Ga. is standing by, ready to help you in what could be a very challenging situation in your workplace environment.
Do you find yourself in a situation at work where you need to speak with an expert in employment law in Athens, Georgia?
The Work Environment – it can make or break a place!
Have you experienced or witnessed harassment, discrimination, bias or intimidation at your place of employment? Have you asked yourself if you should report it, and to who? Well, this is far more common than we like to think.
Nobody likes to talk about it and employers certainly don’t want that mark on their logo. Unfortunately, it happens.
You may feel like your hands are tied, but they’re not, here are few questions to ask yourself while determining your next steps:
What if I want to talk to someone about an incident, but I’m not sure if it is harassment or discrimination?
- Find a trusted individual to hear your concerns, such as your manager, your advisor at college, a school counselor or teacher, a parent or even a trusted friend. They may be able to help you sort through your situation and help to resolve your concerns, or refer you to an appropriate professional.
What if I witness or overhear something that might be harassment or discrimination?
- Report it to your manager, who should follow up by notifying the Director of Human Resources
- Be willing to go up the Chain of Command
Do I have to try to stop the behavior myself, first?
- If you are comfortable speaking to the individual whose behavior is offensive, by all means, do so. Many people don’t realize that their jokes, comments or behavior is offensive and will stop – some will even apologize!
- If speaking to the individual doesn’t stop the behavior, or if you don’t feel sage approaching the individual (or group of individuals), then seek help from your immediate supervisor.
There is no question; I know I have been harassed. How do I file a complaint of discrimination or harassment at my place of employment?
Contact your Human Resource Office immediately and file a report, they must act on it. Make certain that you have put everything in writing and get a copy of the report. Make sure you include in your report (be specific):
- Who was involved?
- Where did happened?
- What happened?
- How long has it been going on?
- Were there any witnesses?
- For sexual violence or assault, contact the Police immediately
- Employment Law Attorney Athens, Ga
- Employment Law Attorney Atlanta, Ga
I do not trust my company’s internal process; do I have to start there?
- You may elect to have your complaint mediated or investigated internally or may elect to file a formal charge of discrimination with an external state or federal agency. They will then step in to investigate your claim. You can start by finding your counties Human Rights Commission, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and/or the Police.
- You may also wish to seek the advice of an attorney.
Call Michael Daniel today: 706-543-0002
MICHAEL C. DANIEL is a Partner with Prior, Daniel & Wiltshire, LLC. Mr. Daniel was born in Macon, Georgia, in 1958. He graduated from Mount De Sales High School in 1977. He received his BA from Mercer University in 1981 and JD degree from the University of Georgia Law School in December of 1983.